Collection: Part Two

Research (Wild)

Materials Research at Materials Library at KGX

Reading some of the books in the materials library section, including The Sustainable Design Book by Rebecca Proctor and Materials Revolution: Sustainable and Multi-Purpose materials for Design & Architecture by Sasha Peters, I discovered a useful way of categorising sustainability in Product Design, which was a lot more varied than I had originally thought when considering sustainability.  It is important to consider eleven different aspects of sustainability in products which are whether they are:

1. biodegradable

2. locally made

3. locally sourced

4. using low energry

5. producing low waste

6. toxin-free

7.  recyclable

8. recycled

9. made from traditional craftsmanship

10. making use of  well-managed resources --> materials that can be replenished at the rate they are being consumed, e.g. bamboo, wool

11. involving social enterprise. --> benefits society by employing disadvantaged workers and giving donations to charitable causes.

In particular, the last three features of sustainability were not ones I instinctively considered when thinking about product design, and I was not sure about the specific method this sustainable approach involves, so I took a note of it. Traditional craftsmanship is also something I feel is overlooked in the fast-paced mass production of the capitalist society we live in today, and I was drawn to utilising this form of sustainability to preserve excellence in craftsmanship within a variety of communities and cultures that is enormously invaluable.

Lars Beller Fjetland Leather Offcurs

Leather Offcuts

In the above pattern, Fjetland utilises leather pieces that are considered to be waste by creating a link series. the way the pieces are joined allows a wide range of products to be made from small pillows to large carpets.

Fjetland's Reused Leather

"An object needs to endure the test of time not only on a physical level but also on an aesthetic level. It needs to appeal to future generations, and it is therefore important to operate on a higher level than fast fashion and ever-changing trends."

I was particularly drawn to Fjetland's aesthetic approach of sustainability that fights against fast fashion through aesthetic beauty. 

Tofu - Leonardo Talarico